- 造句：I wouldn't demean myself by copying during the examination.
- 造句：The latest celebrity gossip news are deliberately prurient to interest readers.
- 造句：Gays, lesbians, straights, feminists—none of them bother him.
- But let’s face it: the English language is stuck with the generic masculine (“MAN SHALL NOT LIVE BY BREAD ALONE”).
- And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.
prurient的英文解释还蛮有意思的。“too interested in the details of another person's sexual behaviour ”比中文“好色的，迷恋淫欲的 ”要清晰。最重要的是字典标注了词语的语体色彩：formal disapproving。对正确使用和理解都有帮助，尤其是又涉及到敏感的性别话题。
feminist让我想到昨天本章的“CONCEPT NOUNS”部分。feminist的一个解释是Feminist groups, ideas, and activities are involved in feminism.单纯看这个解释，会发现它说了跟没说一样…当然这里与语境有关。所以也提醒自己记住OWW的这句：
- Don’t get caught holding a bag full of abstract nouns. You’ll sink to the bottom of the lake and never be seen again.
- "My body is physically female, but my mind's completely male," Oshima goes on. "Emotionally I live as a man. ”
"Shared facilities give rise to all sorts of harassment. According to our survey, the majority of women are reluctant to use shared bathrooms. This is a clear case of neglect of your female patrons."
"Neglect...," Oshima says, and makes a face like he's swallowed something bitter by mistake. He doesn't much like the sound of the word, it would seem.
"An intentional oversight."
"Intentional oversight," he repeats, and gives some thought to this clumsy phrase.
- "You've just been evading the point, mouthing empty arguments that avoid taking responsibility," she says in a really high-pitched voice. "In reality, to use the term for the sake of convenience, what you're doing is an easygoing attempt at self-justification. You are a totally pathetic, historical example of the phallocentric, to put it mildly."
Look, what I'm trying to get across is this:
I'm sure there are many more effective ways of making sure that Japanese women's rights are guaranteed than sniffing around a small library in a little town and complaining about the restrooms and the card catalog.
We're doing our level best to see that this modest library of ours helps the community. We've assembled an outstanding collection for people who love books. And we do our utmost to put a human face on all our dealings with the public.
Of course there are things we could do better, and limits to what we can accomplish.
But rest assured we're doing our very best. I think it'd be a whole lot better if you focus on what we do well than what we're unable to do. Isn't that what you call fair?"
"Only people who've been discriminated against can really know how much it hurts. Each person feels the pain in his own way, each has his own scars. So I think I'm as concerned about fairness and justice as anybody. But what disgusts me even more are people who have no imagination. The kind T. S. Eliot calls hollow men. People who fill up that lack of imagination with heartless bits of straw, not even aware of what they're doing. Callous people who throw a lot of empty words at you, trying to force you to do what you don't want to. Like that lovely pair we just met."
"But there's one thing I want you to remember, Kafka. Those are exactly the kind of people who murdered Miss Saeki's childhood sweetheart. Narrow minds devoid of imagination. Intolerance, theories cut off from reality, empty terminology, usurped ideals, inflexible systems. Those are the things that really frighten me. What I absolutely fear and loathe. Of course it's important to know what's right and what's wrong. Individual errors in judgment can usually be corrected. As long as you have the courage to admit mistakes, things can be turned around. But intolerant, narrow minds with no imagination are like parasites that transform the host, change form, and continue to thrive. They're a lost cause, and I don't want anyone like that coming in here."