Various resources, such as books, websites and articles, for improving your PHP development skills and knowledge.
Useful PHP-related websites.
- Nomad PHP - A online PHP learning resource.
- PHP Best Practices - A PHP best practice guide.
- PHP FIG - The PHP Framework Interoperability Group.
- PHP Mentoring - Peer to peer PHP mentorship organization.
- PHP Package Development Standards - Package development standards for PHP.
- PHP School - Open Source Learning for PHP.
- PHP Security - A guide to PHP security.
- PHP The Right Way - A PHP best practice quick reference guide.
- PHP UG - A website to help people locate their nearest PHP user group (UG).
- PHP Versions - Lists which versions of PHP are available on several popular web hosts.
- PHP Weekly - A weekly PHP newsletter.
- PHPTrends - An overview of fastest growing PHP libraries.
- Securing PHP - A newsletter about PHP security and library recommendations.
- Seven PHP - A website that interviews members of the PHP community.
- PHP Annotated Monthly - A monthly digest of PHP news.
Useful websites related to web development.
- Atlassian Git Tutorials - A series of Git tutorials.
- Hg Init - A series of Mercurial tutorials.
- Learning Linux - A website for learning Linux.
- Semantic Versioning - A website explaining semantic versioning.
- Servers for Hackers - A newsletter about server management.
- The Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) - An open software security community.
- WebSec IO - A web security community resource.
Fantastic PHP-related books.
- Functional Programming in PHP - This book will show you how to leverage these new PHP5.3+ features by understanding functional programming principles
- Grumpy PHPUnit - A book about unit testing with PHPUnit by Chris Hartjes.
- Mastering Object-Orientated PHP - A book about object-orientated PHP by Brandon Savage.
- Modern PHP New Features and Good Practices - A book about new PHP features and best practices by Josh Lockhart.
- Modernizing Legacy Applications in PHP - A book about modernizing legacy PHP applications by Paul M. Jones.
- PHP 7 Upgrade Guide - An ebook covering all of the features and changes in PHP 7 by Colin O'Dell.
- PHP Pandas - A book about learning to write PHP by Dayle Rees.
- Scaling PHP Applications - An ebook about scaling PHP applications by Steve Corona.
- Securing PHP: Core Concepts - A book about common security terms and practices for PHP by Chris Cornutt.
- Signaling PHP - A book about catching PCNTL signals in CLI scripts by Cal Evans.
- The Grumpy Programmer's Guide to Building Testable PHP Applications - A book about building testing PHP applications by Chris Hartjes.
- XML Parsing with PHP - This book covers parsing and validating XML documents, leveraging XPath expressions, and working with namespaces as well as how to create and modify XML files programmatically.
- Domain-Driven Design in PHP - Real examples written in PHP showcasing DDD Architectural Styles.
Books related to general computing and web development.
- Elasticsearch: The Definitive Guide - A guide to working with Elasticsearch by Clinton Gormley and Zachary Tong.
- Head First Design Patterns - A book that expains software design patterns.
- Pro Git - A book about Git by Scott Chacon and Ben Straub.
- The Linux Command Line - A book about the Linux command line by William Shotts.
- The Tangled Web — Securing Web Applications - A book about securing web applications by Michal Zalewski.
- Understanding Computation - A book about computation theory by Tom Stuart.
- Vagrant Cookbook - A book about creating Vagrant environments by Erika Heidi.
Fantastic PHP-related videos.
- Nomad PHP Lightning Talks - 10 to 15 minute Lightning Talks by PHP community members.
- PHP UK Conference - A collection of videos from the PHP UK Conference.
- Programming with Anthony - A video series by Anthony Ferrara.
- Taking PHP Seriously - A talk outlining PHP's strengths by Keith Adams of Facebook.
Podcasts with a focus on PHP topics.
- PHP Town Hall - A casual PHP podcast by Ben Edmunds and Phil Sturgeon.
- Voices of the ElePHPant Interviews with the people that make the PHP community special.
- PHP Roundtable - The PHP Roundtable is a casual gathering of developers discussing topics that PHP nerds care about.
PHP-releated reading materials.
- Composer Primer - A Composer primer.
- Composer Stability Flags - An article about Composer stability flags.
- Composer Versioning - An article about Composer versioning.
- Create Your Own PHP Framework - A series of articles on how to make your own PHP framework by Fabien Potencier.
- Don't Worry About BREACH - An article about the BREACH hack and CSRF tokens.
- On PHP 5.3, Lambda Functions and Closures - An article about lambda functions and closures.
- PHP Is Much Better Than You Think - An article about the PHP language and ecosystem.
- PHP Package Checklist - A checklist for successful PHP package development.
- PHP Sucks! But I Like It! - An article about the pros and cons of PHP.
- Preventing CSRF Attacks - An article on preventing CSRF attacks.
- Seven Ways to Screw Up BCrypt - An article about correct BCrypt implementation.
- The 2018 Guide to Building Secure PHP Software - A guide to building secure PHP software.
- Use Env - An article about using the unix environment helper.
Reading materials related to the PHP internals or performance.
- Disproving the Single Quotes Myth - An article about performance of single and double quoted strings.
- How Big Are PHP Arrays (And Values) Really? - An article about array internals.
- How Foreach Works - A detailed StackOverflow answer about foreach.
- How Long is a Piece of String - An article about string internals.
- PHP Evaluation Order - An article about evaluation order in PHP.
- PHP Internals Book - An online book about PHP internals, written by three core developers.
- PHP RFCs - The home of PHP RFCs (Request for Comments).
- Print vs Echo, Which One is Faster? - An article about print and echo performance.
- The PHP Ternary Operator. Fast or Not? - An article ternary performance.
- Understanding OpCodes - An article about opcodes.
- When Does Foreach Copy? - An article about the internals of foreach.
- Why Objects (Usually) Use Less Memory Than Arrays - An article about object and array internals.
- You're Being Lied To - An article about internal ZVALs.
- Collecting Garbage: 1 2 3 - A series about the PHP garbage collection internals.
- PHP Source Code for Developers: 1 2 3 4 - A series about the PHP source code.
Fantastic PHP-related magazines.
- php[architect] - A monthly magazine dedicated to PHP.